Friday, January 13, 2012

iPad Bluetooth Keyboard

Searching for a way to be productive on your iPad or simply wanting to be able to type that loooooong status update on Facebook or even write up your blog [like this]? Then your next iPurchase should be a Bluetooth keyboard, its not messy [no cables] its [usually] portable, it can be of use for other things that connect via Bluetooth [Android phones, tablets, PS3's come to mind and have been tested on] and its really hand/useful when you really need to type something fast and its gonna be long way to finish.

So now you're wondering, what you can buy to get into gear? Now the Apple Bluetooth keyboard is Php 3,490 and the Belkin I saw at PowerMac was around the same price if a tiny bit cheaper but still over 3k. Knowing this and being on a tight budget, I looked around, there are iPad covers with keyboards costing below 3,000 but above 2,000 and the leather type cases don't really appeal to me, they kinda look er, um, unappealing.

Luckily I was able to spy from CDRKing several Bluetooth keyboards that are affordably cheap. The one I ended up with was CDRKing Bluetooth Keyboard [KL-0042KB], it was [to me] the best buy with regards to size, price and ergonomics.


Specs:
  • Bluetooth V 2.0 with BROADCOM 2042 Chipset
  • 78 Keys design with 13 multi-function keys
  • Scissor-switch keypad design comfortable and ergonomic design
  • Built-in intelligent power management software for power conservation
  • Built-in software solution with Bluetooth human interface device and comply with the standard version of Bluetooth SIG Bluetooth 2.0
  • Powered 2 pcs. AAA battery
  • Working RANGE: 10m

Now to tell you why I felt this was the best, let me make a short run down some things that made me skip these models:

TM-1157: It is small, almost tiny! I don't feel I could type on the thing for prolonged periods of time. It has a built in battery, which with prolonged use could die and is not user replaceable. Php990

K427iB: It's about the same size as your normal keyboard, so its pretty big for an iPad! And also has the same non user replaceable built in battery. Php880

KW-239iB: Now this one is only a little bit larger than the one I chose, and has the same looks with AAA batteries for power [making it easier to replace and if it runs out of power, you just pop in new batteries], now the only thing is, the Bluetooth connection button is recessed, meaning it's not easy to press so you can connect it to a device, this makes it hard to connect to multiple devices on the fly, you're gonna need at least a toothpick. And the last reason is that if you notice, there isnt a power switch, meaning its an 'intelligent' sensing keyboard, though I'm forgetful, I'd rather have the option to turn it off or on at any time. not when the darn thing thinks its best to turn off. Php880

G-K001: Now this is a little bit bigger too than the one I chose and has all the good stuff with it, a physical power switch, an easy to press activation button and AAA battery use. The only reason I didnt choose this is because its bigger [I needed it to be almost the same size as the iPad] and becuase it squarish, it looks like the box type of Bluetooth keyboards [and yes, its just me] ^^ it is a good choice though if you want a bigger keyboard. Php880

TM-1125: Now this case has non user replaceable batteries too but the keyboard is built into the foldable case, something some people may like. I don't since I don't want to bring my keyboard all the time nor do I want it seen all the time with my iPad. It also adds to the width of what you're gonna carry so be prapared if you choose this. The case itself is acceptable, it isn't so tacky to look at. the keyboard is silent and spill proof so that's another thing that's a plus. Overall its a good keyboard case combo IF you're into that thing. Php1,080

KL-0047KB: Now this is about the same size as the iPad, but what turned me off here is that, since I don't have an iShield, placing the iPad on this means I would clamp the front part of the screen and brace the back part of the iPad on this thing, maybe useful if you have an iShield to avoid scratches or possible dents with a silicone/crystal case. One thing though is that its not gonna work with all types of covers/cases. Like my cover would fit and the front bezel protected by the cover but it would be awkward since the cover on mine isn't removable, its just gonna hang there and possibly over weigh towards the back. Another is the non user replacable batteries again, though its supposed to have powr for 55 hours straight [I wont trust that though hehehe] Php1,480

KL-0049KB: Last on the available list so far is this case keyboard combination, again the batteries are non user replaceable, its exactly the same keyboard as the one above. But the case its made of hard plastic and now this case makes it look like your iPad is a laptop. It can be used to hold you laptop in landscape or portrait mode [useful] and closes down on the keyboard like the above case. This means more protection for your ipad but again, it'll make your combination pretty wide :D Some people may like this, but like the same rason above, I skipped this [and its also pretty expensivve, the most expensive they have] Php1,380

Overall, the keyboard I got is [for me] almost just right in the size department, keys spaced enough so I don't over type, its not too big, its portable and ergonomic, roundish, has user replaceable batteries, an easy to turn off/on switch and the Bluetooth activation button is easy to press but not by accident. So if you're on a budget and you like your keyboard separate as an option and want it easy to use and affordable, then this model is for you.

Please note that the selection is for me, is subjective, I am sorry if the descriptions I gave for some of the keyboards are offensive or hurtful but they only reflect my own bias and choices for my own keyboard. Your choices are of course your own and hopefully with some of the descriptions I gave [yes mostly cons], it'll help you decide to buy one of them even if its its not my own personal choice. In an update, i may revise them to add more pro's to help make a better choice, for now though, on with the show! Thank you ^^

3 comments:

  1. Norm got me a bluetooth Kingston keyboard (attached to an iPad case), and I hardly use it. What's interesting is I'm a lot faster typing on the touch screen when I Skype or email. That said, I hardly use the device for anything else other than Facebooking, checking email and reading digital smut. I'd prefer to use a desktop or a computer if I'm going to do a lot of typing. The iPad is not really meant for that to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made most of my blog using the keyboard and the iPad, keeps me sane when the laptop isn't available for more serious work or when I'm traveling by bus. Though yes, I would agree it wasn't exactly meant for heavy typing but it'll do in a pinch ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. That said, I found a very VERY nice keyboard + cover combo which I may be tempted to buy.

    Speaking of covers, you should do a study on iPad2 covers. There aren't many good ones -- they're all so chaka and unstylish (mediocre stitching, bulkiness, etc). I have the official magnetic iPad2 cover, but it leaves the back unprotected (stupid Apple). I really like the case made for the first iPad, but didn't make sense to make one (or at least make it compatible) with iPad 2 (again, stupid Apple).

    The one that I've got is the Tucano Schermo http://www.tucanousa.com/shop/schermo-for-ipad2.html

    It's passable (I like the matte metal finish on the cover), but I don't like the thin rubber grip surrounding the iPad -- they could have made it thicker or something.

    Still looking for something a lot more elegant.... :-p / Nelz

    ReplyDelete